The Experience Technology (ExTech) Landscape
A Free Quarterly Report
Each quarter, we produce an updated report outlining the current landscape of vendors delivering the various components of what we call "Experience Technologies." Tracking the ExTech market is critical for enterprise leaders seeking to build, activate, and sustain The Digital Experience Value Engine.
Why ExTech Matters
Understanding the Landscape
Creating, curating, and sustaining a winning digital experience requires an interconnected ecosystem of tools and platforms, which we organize into three layers, each comprised of several domains. While each domain is often a market sector on its own, we believe you must view the entire ExTech market as a whole to build and sustain a winning digital experience.
Architecture & Sustainment
The topmost layer of the landscape is comprised of the tools you need to deliver and manage experiences to your customers, employees, and partners. It includes the following domains:
- Digital Experience Platforms
- Customer Engagement Platforms
- Experience Management Systems
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Systems
- Employee Experience Platforms
- Work Management Platforms
The middle layer is all about the tools and platforms that directly enable the delivery of winning experiences. This includes the following domains:
- Conversational AI
- Intelligent Search
- Workflow/Intelligent Automation Platforms*
- Low-code/No-code Platforms**
- Digital Adoption Platforms
* While Intelligent Automation often is used to describe a set of technologies that includes Robotic Process Automation (RPA), most current RPA use cases remain focused on backend automation and, therefore, is not included in our definition of experience-centric Intelligent Automation.
** While Low-code and No-code platforms are often considered development platforms and would therefore be considered a foundational technology, because their typical use case is to implement automation that would otherwise be left undeveloped, we consider these platforms to be a key enabling technology.
The bottom layer of the landscape are those tools and platforms that enable organizations to define and monitor the experiences they deliver. This includes the following domains:
- Application/Experience Monitoring
- Process Mining
- Business Architecture Management Platforms
- Value Stream Management
Each quarterly ExTech Landscape Report re-validates the layers and the domains contained within them, examines the relationships between domains and layers, and identifies key technology vendors (and specific solutions, where appropriate) in each domain. Note that we may not fully cover every major player in some domains (e.g., AIOps) if those players do not have an experiential focus. Likewise, we recognize that there are several foundational technologies, methodologies, and other domains (e.g., DevOps, DataOps, etc.) that play a critical role in the delivery of digital experiences, however, because the domains are not explicitly focused on experiential demands they are not included.